8.31.2007

Are we swinging too far ?

I was in a meeting with a client yesterday and they asked my my opinion on whether companies/brands should be able to add/change information to the entry about their business on Wikipedia. Or is that is infringing on the dialog? My answer: as long as the business doesn't hinder others input, why shouldn't they? If we are talking that the new way of the world is an open 2 way communication between companies and consumers, those companies have as much of a right to be in that conversation. I think we have to make sure that we don't swing to far to the other side of this mind shift, and disallow the owners of the brand to tell their side of the story. It's participatory, not exclusionary. Everyone needs to play by the same rules, and everyone should be heard. Isn't that what this is all about?

No comments: